In the Frozen Kingdoms project, Year 6 will learn about a range of Geography, History and Art and Design aspects of the Arctic and Antarctic.
Below are some of the objectives Year 6 will be studying:
- Similarities and differences between these two regions, including the climate, landscape and natural resources.
- How to use grid references, lines of latitude and longitude, contour lines and symbols to identify the geographical locations of the Arctic and Antarctic, and how these, along with the tilt of the Earth, affect day length and warmth.
- Investigate polar oceans to learn how they differ from other oceans on Earth and how climate change increases Earth's temperature and leads to rising sea levels.
- Indigenous people of the Arctic, including how their lives have changed over time, and about the positives and negatives of tourism in Antarctica.
- Polar exploration and discovery.
- Inuit carvings, stencil painting and recreating the The Enchanted Owl